Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Classic French toast

I love bread.. just not the regular sliced ones we get in the supermarket!! My kind are the ones that are a bit overbaked with a slight but obvious taste of the overbaked crust. So as a rule, I rarely buy the supermarket sliced breads.

One can't underestimate the ease with which bread can result in a fast turnaround of breakfast. I first had French toast as a child when my mother made it as a Friday breakfast and I hated it. Was never a fan of fried bread throughout my childhood. When the necessity arises, there is a greater tendency to pacify oneself with the availability deemed as the new "in" thing.

On one such uncanny day, with an already preset disposition to eggs and the presence of some bread, I decided to make the French toast for breakfast. This was also due to the keen desire to avoid some good bread from going stale. And secretly I don't prefer to waste food for the sake of the starving children across the world.

So French toast is really easy to make, though I must warn you, it is a bit oily.



What I used
  1. Butter/oil: enough for shallow frying (around half cup for 4 slices of bread)
  2. Eggs: 2
  3. Sugar: depending on the sweetness needed (I used 3 tablespoons)
  4. Bread: 4 slices
  5. Cinnamon/sugar powder: for sprinkling (optional)
How I made it
  1. In a bowl, beat the eggs and sugar well and soak each bread slice for about 30 seconds.
  2. Heat the butter/oil in a pan and fry the egg-soaked bread slices till they brown on each side.
Land the toast on a plate lined with tissue/blotting paper to get rid of the excess oil. Serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon or sugar powder.

This a perfect breakfast with a hot cup of coffee or cardamom tea :D :D

No comments:

Post a Comment