Sunday, November 6, 2016

Chicken samosa

Despite the severe curfew on some of our favorite pasttimes, one of the best happenings that sprung from my mom's retirement was the daily snacks she would prepare for my sis and me with the evening tea :D :D. After her retirement, it was exciting to rush home from school for the sole reason that there would be something new and tasty for lunch :D :D

A couple of months ago, I was reminded of the samosas she would make, the one foiled in pastry sheets, which isn't common in Trivandrum. I checked out a few confectioneries here to no avail.

It was time to create what I wanted! And I love that feeling where what you need isn't available and you gotta custom make it :D :D. For me, it was only a matter of reaching the heights of "wanting" to leave my comfortable premises and get the stuff. Surprisingly what led me to make these samosas wasn't my craving. It was while deciding on a menu of snacks to treat my friends and colleagues that I decided "why not some chicken samosas!" :D :D

And here they are :D :D


What I used
  1. Coconut oil : ¼ cup for the filiing and enough oil for deep frying
  2. Mustard seeds: ½ teaspoon
  3. Diced onion: 2
  4. Ginger-garlic paste: 1 teaspoon
  5. Salt: to taste
  6. Turmeric powder, pepper powder and garam masala: ½ teaspoon each
  7. Grated carrots: ½ cup
  8. Capsicum: 1
  9. Chillies: as per need
  10. Chicken: 250 grams
  11. Pastry sheets: as per need
How I made it
  1. In pan, heat oil, splutter the mustard seeds and saute the onion adding some salt. When onions soften, add the spice powders and cook till the raw smell goes. Add the carrot, capsicum and chillies adjusting the salt as needed till the veggies are almost done. Then goes in the minced chicken and cook with continuous mixing till the chicken is done. This is the filling
  2. Take the elongated pastry sheet to wrap the samosa into a triangle and deep fry in hot oil till they brown on either side

These crispy triangles of joy are delicious with sweet and spicy tomato ketchup :D :D
  
Couple it with  a hot cup of cardamom tea or coffee to have an evening that makes you smile in your armchair watching that serene sun go down the horizon :D :D

No comments:

Post a Comment