Monday, February 16, 2015

Koorka varattiyathu (Chinese potato stirred fry)

The other day a friend brought home something I hadn't tried cooking before - Koorka or Chinese potato. I have had this at home in different forms, but hadn't made it on my own. And when my friend cooked it, I knew I had to try it on my own :D

My god! it was no easy task. It takes a heck of patience to prepare it for cooking. You see, it's so muddy, full of soil and grit, that I had to wash it umpteen times. Since these baby potato-likes are kind of small like different-sized marbles, peeling them was no less than Herculean task (at least for me ;-))

But once washed and peeled and ready, these babies were a delight :D :D


What I used
  1. Koorka: about 250 grams (I made only a small quantity)
  2. Cooking oil: 2 tablespoons (I used coconut oil)
  3. Mustard seeds: 1/2 teaspoon
  4. Curry leaves: a sprig 
  5. Shallots: 6
  6. Green chilies: 2
  7. Dry red chilies: 2
  8. Garlic: about 5 cloves
  9. Salt: to taste
  10. Water: 1.5 cup
  11. Tumeric powder: 1/2 teaspoon
  12. Pepper powder: 1/2 teaspoon (optional)
How I made it
  1. In a saucepan, boil the cleaned and diced koorka with a bit of salt and tumeric powder
    Ensure the contents don't cook to become mushy.  But of course, if u like it mushy, go ahead and try it. The overcooked soft version can be used as filling for wraps as well. But when I made it, I boiled it just enough so that it is cooked and yet firm, not soft enough that it falls apart. I cooked the contents until water boiled and put out the fire allowing the koorka to cook in the hot water, in between piercing with a fork to check the status. Once done, drain off the water and keep it aside.
  2. In a frying pan, heat the oil and splutter mustard and curry leaves. The fragrance of curry leaves is such a bliss and lends a freshness to any dish.
  3. This is followed by the shallots that have been roughly chopped (I like the sweet taste of sauteed shallots, so I kept the pieces little big), dry red chilies, garlic with enough salt and pepper.
  4. Once the shallots have turned glossy and soft, add the green chilies and the pre-cooked koorka.
  5. Mix well till all ingredients are well combined and cook for another 10 min.
PS: If you like the koorka to be crispy, continue stirring the contents till the koorka browns. Ensure the rest of the ingredients don't burn.

This is a simple (once the tubers are cleaned of course :D) dry side dish for rice and chappathis :D :D

No comments:

Post a Comment