Saturday, February 7, 2015

Ulli chedi thoran

It is only recently that I came across this veggie. It was there, a green cluster of long stalks, on the shelf of the supermarket I shop from... Since my taste buds were in demand of something green and crunchy with a fresh taste, I grabbed this, which the store lady introduced as "ulli chedi" and ... let's just say we got to know each other better ;-)

Here is what I did with it...


What I used
  1. Chopped ulli chedi (keep the flowers also if it is there on the stalks): around 2 cups
    I chopped in such a way that the pieces were a little thick, not very fine.., you see, I wanted to feel the pieces as I munched on them
  2. Finely diced onion: 1
  3. Green chili (any chili is fine): 1 sliced longitudinally
  4. Cooking oil: 2 tablespoons
  5. Salt: to taste
How I made it
  1. In a pan, heat the the oil and saute the onion and green chili with the required amount of salt
  2. Once the onions have softened, add the chopped ulli chedi and mix well
  3. Ensure the content is coated completely with oil and keep on low heat keeping the pan covered, stirring occasionally to enable uniform cooking
         PS: For thorans/mezhukkupurattees, sometimes I add a bit of water so the veggies cook in the              moisture of the steam instead of adding a lot of oil

Like most thorans/mezhukkupurattees, this went really well with brown rice :D :D

No comments:

Post a Comment