Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Egg curry

Egg, as I have often said is a necessity for me. My last-minute saviour!

Most of my cooking trials are based on dishes that I have tasted and my culinary journey began with an attempt to recreate that blissful sojourn. It clearly underlines the fact that epic tastes create lasting impressions. More and more people want to experience that. I believe that's what a splendid idea is. That more people want to replicate it.

In this case, for the egg curry, my source of taste that I am still in the process of trying to recreate is the egg curry of the appam-egg curry combo from a chayakada (tea shop) near Caritas Hospital in Kottayam. As a child, I was a frequent visitor to that hospital and I was bribed into going there with the promise of a lime juice with ice cubes and of course the appam-egg curry that I so dearly loved <3 <3

I don't remember the name of that tea shop and don't know if it is still there. Because I don't visit hospitals that much now thankfully :D :D  So whenever egg curry pops up in a menu, I order it with the constant hope that it has that long-ago taste that lingers in my memory. Such a lasting impact from a chayakada chef! 

Do not be mistaken that the recipe am listing here is a replica of the aforesaid dish. This is different but really good and anyone can try it :D :D

PS: When I manage to replicate that chayakada taste, which will be soon coz I got some hint about how he/she might have made it, that will be here! ;D ;D


What I used
  1. Vegetable/coconut oil: 1/4 cup
  2. Cardamom (2 pods) cinnamon (1-inch), cloves (2): optional
  3. Mustard seeds: 1/2 teaspoon
  4. Curry leaves (optional): ~8-10 leaves 
  5. Finely sliced onions: 1 cup
  6. Diced ripe tomatoes: 1/2 cup
  7. Salt: to taste
  8. Meat masala: 2 tablespoons
  9. Pepper powder: 1/2 teaspoon
  10. Chillies: 2 - change according to the heat required
  11. Coconut milk: 1/2 cup
  12. Boiled eggs cut into halves: 2
How I made it
  1. If you are using cardamom, cinnamon and cloves, add it into the hot oil at the beginning itself so the oil becomes flavoursome
  2. Then splutter mustard seeds with few curry leaves and saute the onions with some salt on low flame till the onions have melted
    PS:You have to be patient here. Coz when the onions melt is when it gets a sweet taste. This mix of sweetness with the spices we are going to add is what gives it a to-die-for flavour
  3. Add the tomatoes and chillies at this stage. When the tomatoes wilt and get mushy, add salt, meat masala and pepper powder
  4. When the content is aromatic, add the coconut milk and some water for the gravy. Water is to be added based on how thick you want the gravy to be
  5. When then gravy comes to a boil, add the boiled eggs ensuring it is coated with the gravy
  6. Set aside for a few minutes and serve hot

This curry is very simple to make and we had it with chappathi :D :D

It goes well with rice and appam, bread too :D :D ..

Like I say, you can decide your own combo. What works for you work for you and that's good enough :D :D

No comments:

Post a Comment